Sunday, January 01, 2017

How Wales voted in 2016

I've wanted to comment on the way the people of Wales voted in the 2016 EU Referendum for a while. Today Wales top Pollster, Roger Scully very helpfully posted a comprehensive blog covering this issue. So I'll just raid what I thought especially noteworthy. Let's run through how the different council areas voted, starting with the highest percentage who wanted to remain.

Cardiff - 60% remain
Gwynedd - 58.1% remain
Ceredigion - 54.6% remain
Vale of Glamorgan - 50.7% remain
Monmouth - 50.4% remain
-------------------------------------------every other council area voted Leave. I was truly astonished.
Ynys Mon - 49.1% remain.
Swansea - 48.4% remain
Carmarthen - 46.3% remain
Powys - 46.3% remain
Rhondda Cynon Taff - 46.3% remain
Conwy - 46% remain.
Denbigh - 46% remain
Bridgend - 45.4% remain
Newport - 44% remain
Flintshire - 43.6% remain
Merthyr Tydfil - 43.6% remain
Neath Port Talbot - 43.2% remain
Pembrokeshire - 42.9% remain
Caerphilly - 42.4% remain
Wrexham - 41% remain
Torfaen - 40.2% remain
Blaenau Gwent - 38% remain.

The highest turnout was in Powys at 77%, while there were 7 under 70% - Cardiff, Swansea, RCT, Denbighshire, Merthyr, Torfaen and Blaenau Gwent.

None of this is new of course, but already there are a few claiming it was "English Tories" who delivered the Leave vote. I usually elicit a 'refusal to accept' when I say the Conservative Govt fought a determined battle to remain. I think a stronger argument can be made that it was Welsh Labour which delivered the Leave vote. Reason I've posted this is to challenge the re-writing of history.

And final point I want to make. Over last month the Shropshire Star (my only local daily) ran its own referendum on how would its readership vote now. 64% responded to say they would vote Leave. About what I would have expected.

No comments: